Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Final Chapter (at least for Nursing School)

I've been trying to figure out what to write about for the entry about my last semester in nursing school.  On my last post, I updated everyone about my senior checkoffs and drug calculation tests. The next few weeks consisted of going to class, working in groups, 172 hours of clinical, a senior project, and a final ATI test.  I can finally say that I am finished.  I don't think it is necessary to talk about all the details of each minute of my last semester, except to say that I had a wonderful senior practicum with an awesome preceptor that taught me so much.  I had good days and bad days at clinical.  The bad days were days that I thought I would never be able to figure everything out.  I know that as a nurse, I will never stop learning.  And I like that.

The highlights of this semester were my Pinning and Graduation ceremonies.  They marked the end of the nursing school chapter of my life.  Two weeks ago today, I walked across the stage and I now hold my Bachelor of Science in Nursing.  It has been a long 5 years.  Some days were easier than others, and some days I wasn't sure if I would make it through at all.  But in the end, I made it.  And I made it because God said I would! 

Here are a few pictures from my Pinning and Graduation ceremonies.

My Graduation Announcement
















My awesome class!



Delivering the History of Pinning Speech


Receiving my nursing pin


Receiving the Flame from the Lamp of Knowledge

After the ceremony was over, I joined my family.  I hugged my Mama and then I hugged my Daddy. He wouldn't let me go.  He kept looking down at the program and looking back and me and he would hug me again.  He started crying, I started crying, and then before I knew it, everyone around me was crying.  I looked my Daddy in the eye and told him I loved him and that he was the reason I was there. He helped me to realize that I needed to pursue what I had always wanted to do.  I was so happy that he was able to be there with me to celebrate and to see me welcomed in the the brotherhood and sisterhood of nursing.  I will never, ever forget this moment.





Some of my closest friends were also able to be there with me on this special day.  I could not have done this without their love, prayers and encouragement through the past 5 years.



And of course, my wonderful family.  My husband has been my rock.  My daughters have pushed me through and told me that I could do it.  My parents have been there for me, even though I haven't been there for them as much as I should have been while finishing this journey.  My son-in-law has been there to give me a hard time because he loves me! :)  And of course, Anna Kate has been there for me since day 2 of nursing school!  Even though she doesn't realize it, she has been a huge part of my nursing school journey.






Graduation Day.  I graduated at 10am on Tuesday, July 30th.  It was a very strange time for a graduation so some of my family and friends weren't able to get off of work to be there.  My friend Robin said you couldn't wipe the smile off my face that day.  And I'm so glad that Kathleen, my best friend from high school was able to be at my graduation ceremony as well as Ashley, our youth pastor's wife and a young lady that has become very special to me.








I think this might be one of my favorite pictures.  We did it!!  



All of the ceremonies and celebrations are finished now and I'm so glad that I pursued this degree. The end of nursing school represents the beginning of the next chapter of my life. That chapter will start by taking the NCLEX in less than a month from now and being interviewed for a "Real Nurse" job!!  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment