Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Nursing School - Weeks Two & Three

I'm a little behind in posting because the last two weeks have been pretty stressful.  Nursing school took a bit of a back seat to taking care of my family last week.  My daughter and son-in-law's house caught on fire in the middle of the night.  I'm so thankful that everyone got out safely.  The house is pretty damaged but can be rebuilt.  This may look like a bad situation, but God is faithful.  He has shown us how He works through others in so many different ways.  I am truly humbled at the outpouring of love, prayers, support and encouragement we have received from so many people.  There are not enough words to express how thankful I am to each and every person that has been there for us.

My daughter and 1 week old granddaughter came to stay with us for several days while her husband stayed behind to take care of all the details with the insurance company and finding a temporary place to live until their home can be rebuilt.  They went back home on Labor Day to the rental house and are trying to settle in.  This is a very tough time for all of them. Please continue to pray for them as they recover and rebuild.

As for me and nursing school, I am getting back into the swing of studying and going to class. Pathophysiology is going to be my nemesis this semester.  This class is so intense.  I go to patho on Tuesday afternoons for 2 hours and 45 minutes.  This might not be so bad if I didn't have another class from 8am to Noon on Tuesdays as well.  Tuesdays are very long days and I still have 13 more to go before the end of the semester!  Trying to make my brain understand all of this new information with very little sleep is definitely a challenge. 

I think my favorite part so far is the skills lab.  This is where I get to start learning how to be a nurse.  I will be in skills lab for about 6 weeks before they let us loose in the hospital for clinical rotation.  So far I have learned how to move patients in a bed, help them get up out of the bed, do range of motion exercises, take vital signs, practice asepsis, wound care and various other things a nurse does.  Next week we start learning how to give shots!  All of my friends keep telling me I can practice on them, but not with the needles!  Awww!!  Come on!!!  Just kidding...we can't do that anyway.

The next big thing for me is a dosage calculation test on Monday.  I have to make at least a 90 on this test to continue.  We get two tries but I'm really hoping I can do it on the first one.  Looks like my weekend will be filled with math!!  And if any of you know me very well, you know that's not my favorite thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment